NEVER AGAIN, LG!

LG has been a nightmare to deal with, their product unreliable, their service nonexistent, and their warranty service providers very expensive. I'm now reading complaints online of multiple repetitive failures. If this happens again, we're on to another brand before investing any more in this unit.

We purchased our LG Electronics 25 cu. ft. French Door refrigerator, model #LFC25776ST, serial #304TRNG0J279, from Home Depot in Lakewood, NJ, on 04/23/2013 after Hurricane Sandy flooded our 28-year-old Whirlpool fridge on October 29, 2012. We had been living with an old counter-top model since the storm. The new refrigerator was delivered on 05/15/2013. It cost $1,798.00 plus tax, totaling $1,860.88. We had attempted to research our purchase, consulting Consumer Reports which gave it status as their #5 pick. It was touted as being 30% more efficient than federal guidelines.

Fast forward past the RREM repairs, reconstruction, elevation, and mitigation of our home. On 02/13/2018, after only four years, seven months, and twenty-nine days in use, our refrigerator and freezer totally broke down. We lost, I would estimate, approximately $500 worth of food. The warranty was for 1 year parts and labor, 7 years on sealed system, 10 years on linear compressor.

On 02/13/2018, my husband called LG at 800-243-0000 and spoke with Millie, who transferred him to John, a repair tech at 888-376-6825. He performed a computerized phone diagnosis and said that it was a "failed system" and that he could dispatch a repair tech which would cost $125 for 30 minutes labor, plus $35 for each 10 minutes over 30. He stated that parts would be covered under warranty, but not labor. He had to check availability and would get back to us. On 02/14/2018, my husband called back LG and spoke with Ricco who told us someone would get back to us to set up the appointment by 3 p.m. When no one called by 4:30 p.m. my husband called LG back and was told that they needed 24 hours more to "attempt to send someone." On 02/15/2018, at 12 noon, My husband called again and was told that they couldn't schedule anyone until Wednesday, 02/21, or we were told that we could try ourselves to book a local LG authorized repair service.< /div>

There were only two local LG authorized repair dealers near our area. My husband called the first one, Jersey Coast Appliance in Toms River, NJ, and was told that the service call would be $109.95 just for diagnosis. Even though they are on the LG Web Site as an authorized service provider, they stated that "they don't work with LG for warranty parts," so we'd have to absorb the cost of any necessary parts. He scheduled an appointment for Saturday, 02/17.

I called the other local dealer, Alpha Appliance Service in Jackson, NJ. on 02/16, and was told that they do deal with LG for warranty parts and that their service charge would be $85 to diagnosis, which would be applied to the cost of the repair order. So, I called Jersey Coast Appliance back to cancel the appointment with them. Alpha Appliance came out on Monday, 02/19 and stated that the refrigerator needed a compressor, evaporator assembly, filter, dryer, R134A, new Freon. They charged a total of $560, plus $37.10 tax, for a total of $597.10 for a half-hour diagnostic call and a two hour repair call. The warranty on their labor is for only 90 days.

I feel like we've been victimized twice, once by Hurricane Sandy, and now by LG.

NEVER AGAIN, LG!

Product or Service Mentioned: Lg Electronics Lfc25776St Refrigerator.

Reason of review: Warranty issue.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Unreliable product nonexistent customer service, Customer service and product.

Comments