This is the saga of the $400 bundled vacuum rebate that as of Jan 4, 2011 - no one has received. The rebate terms allowed 6-8 weeks to receive the rebate from the date of receipt of the rebate form. In my case, their contractor ACB Promotions has documented receipt of my rebate on September 6, 2010, meaning I should have received the rebate by November 1, 2010.
Two months later and ACB is blaming LG for the delay, ang LG is blaming ACB for the delay. I have spent hours on the phone with both companies to no avail. Every person I speak with at LG Customer Relations, 877-543-8325 gives me a different story, from (in order):
- "we didn't know there was a delay in this program" (from Neal on 12/15/2010)
- "checks will be cut this week" (from Jennifer on 12/20/2010)
- "should receive the check within two weeks" (from Jewel on 12/27/2010)
- "rebate checks were cut the last week of December" (from Valerie on 1/4/2011)
- "the funds were released on December 16th" (from Glen on 1/4/2011)
...and from ACB Promotions 877-333-9203:
- "We are waiting on LG. We have not received the file back from LG yet" from various representatives on 12/15/2010, 12/20/2010, 12/27/2010, 1/4/2010 and many dates earlier that I did notate the date and time. BTW- if you get transferred to "Tim", he is never available and does not return phone calls. Do not get sucked into the black hole known as "Tim".
I have filed a complaint with the Attorney General of my state, #A3599691. My complaint alone is not enough to take action, but if everyone files a complaint, there is power. Did you know that in some states, like Texas, it is illegal for a company to not honor the terms of their rebate. This is not just an inconvenience, it is a violation.
I have filed a complaint with the FTC, #28659496. The FTC has power to restrict commerce if the company is not acting in good faith. Please file a complaint with the FTC at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ and use the complaint assistant.
Here is where it gets good. If you want action from a big company like LG, you have to get an executives attention. Do this by calling the executive in charge of the issue. In the case of rebates, it is John Weinstock, 201-816-2000, (press 0 and ask for John Weinstock) executive in charge of Marketing for LG Electronics USA, headquartered in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. You can also call his assistant Silene at 201-816-2128, she will direct you to Clara Chang at 201-816-2011 in Public Relations. This would be "bad" public relations, for those of you studying this field.
Anyway, persistence in standing up for your rights is the only way to resolve this matter. In other words, call all these people everyday until you get a clear answer to ...
- why have the checks not been sent out yet?
- what is my check number?
- what will you do to compensate me for the delay? I am asking compensatory cash, as I definitely do not want another LG appliance if this is the way they handle their customers.
Monetary Loss: $400.