5.5K views
3.4

My 4 year old LG washer started to rust around the bleach dispenser less than 2 years after buying this machine. The rusting has continued and now a larger area around the dispense is involved.

As the base metal has rusted under the porcelain finish it began to flake off. Today I scraped backed the damaged area, cleaned the heavy rust off the area with a Drummel tool, and primed the area with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Tomorrow I will prime with a metal primer and follow with an epoxy finish coat. I believe a manufacturing error was made where in the edge of the bleach dispenser sheet metal cut out was not coated at the factory.

This left a raw metal edge where the rusting began and it continued up under the porcelain finish. This is the same process that happens to a car's sheet metal panels. While the repaired area will never match the existing factory finish I believe my rust problem has been solved. That being said, LG design, manufacturing, quality control, and response to customer complaints needs vast improvement.

This is a problem they know about but even after thousands of customer complaints they refuse to admit their culpability and stand behind their product. At the very least they should offer a repair kit for free or for a nominal cost so their customers can do the repair themselves.

Because of their poor customer service as it relates to this specific problem, it is doubtful that many former customers will ever buy another LG product. I count myself amoung those customers.

Product or Service Mentioned: Lg Electronics Washing Machine.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Location: 1000 Sylvan Ave, Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632, USA

Comments

@Martha M

I have the same issue. I’m also having an issue with black mold in the machine and it smells like rotten eggs!

I clean the tub every several weeks and it does help! Anyone else having this problem??

@PissedConsumer1526788

My machine smells no matter how many times I clean it and it’s rusting so bad around the bleach dispenser and flaking.

I have same issue. I'm calling them today. They should replace or repair all ours washer,.

We bought ours in November 2012, and have recently noticed rust around the metal lip near the softener and detergent dispenser, but not by the bleach dispenser. After reading these complaints, I decided to check the underside of the lid back by where it hinges to the machine.

The underside of the lid is flaking with rust. I called the appliance store where we purchased, and they haven't ever had this complaint, but did echo that LG's customer service sucks. I think I will call them back to see if we can get the lid replaced, and I think we'll try to remove the rust and paint the edges of the metal lip ourselves.

Very disappointed, since this was such a highly rated machine when we bought it. Never again.

Ours has also rusted all the way through the metal. We have had the matching about 5 years.

Calling the company tomorrow hoping for a resolution. If not I will never buy LG again.

I have had the exact same problem with my washer. It started after only 2.5 years.

I called LG a number of times and argued fiercely with them but they told me to *** off. A very very rude company for customer service. They acted like it was my fault and refused to help. Bad people---they rival Apple in this aspect.

I like the washer very much---it does a very very very good job with cleaning my clothes etc.

but the rust was just too much and after being treated poorly twice I have to say I hate them.

I am going to spend the $100 and replace the entire top as I do not like the repair you did to yours.

In fact, I think your repair sucks.

If you spent $300 on the repair when could have bought a new top that matches for $100 then you made a big boo-boo. Here is part# for the top: MCK6739****

Who the *** will ever want to buy from a Korean company again?

I have the same issue, bleach dispenser is rusting and the rust is now spreading back to the soap dispensing area. LG is worthless at resolving.

Actually told me that I’m the 1st with this complaint! Warranty doesn’t cover , actually told me that it is my fault for not properly maintaining and cleaning around my bleach dispenser. I don’t even use bleach.

Dishonest, ridiculous company. I will NEVER buy another LG product.

Same issue with our unit and it’s about 4 years old as well

Same issue, significant rust around the bleach dispenser. Customer service first told me to get unit inspected by a service company of there choosing.

I complied, paid the $85 service call. Technician indicated top needs to be replaced.

Called LG cust service and was then told that rust is cosmetic and not covered under warranty. What a run around.

We have rust in both places and have had for over a year and it’s only 4 years old. We will not be buying another LG product. My Maytag was over 20 years old and never had a bit of rust!

I have the same problem. Bought mine in 2010.

Rust started around the bleach dispenser which we don’t even use. Now it is all along the back panel we’re the detergent dispenser is.

I have the same issue!!!

I have contacted them by phone and email. They are worthless!

They replaced the whole top piece once because of rust.

Well, it's back and even worse than before. We are buying a Speed Queen next.....American made and great reviews.

Same problem with my LG top loading washing machine. Same ridiculous reply by LG customer service.

Solution: I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER LG PROSUCT OF ANY KIND. THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND PRODUCT DESIGN SUCKS!

@PissedConsumer1368364

I have same problem but where my door connects and customer service is a joke.My door doesn’t close properly and I even bought the extended warranty and they will not cover it. I will never buy another LG product again

Our lg large capacity washer is Rusting after 3 years